Adsense

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Ray Allen Takes His Shots Against Diabetes

Ray Allen had a rare opportunity this summer. He appeared before Congress as a powerful ally for his son. See last month's blog posting  

"I go in there as an NBA player that has a voice," Allen said, "a little power where I can help mobilize people. But more importantly, I'm a father that wants a cure for my son and his diabetes. The senators got a chance to see the face of diabetes, these little kids who have nothing to do with why they have the disease."




In 2008, as Allen was on the verge of winning an NBA championship with the Celtics, his son Walker was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Walker is now 6, managing the disease every day of his life.

"My son handles it in stride," Allen said, "but over the summer, he's kind of bucking taking his medicine. He takes it, but I can tell he's starting to grow and he wants to be over it. He's angry. He sees other kids running off into the distance and not worrying about anything."

Continue Reading 

No comments: