Adsense

Friday, October 14, 2011

Reclaiming Our Health: Guide to African-American Wellness

Michele Gourdine, MD, a pediatrician and the CEO of Michelle Gourdine and Associates, was always fascinated as to why African-Americans disproportionately suffered from a range of health issues such as heart disease, diabetes and obesity.

"These statistics really bothered me," Gourdine says. "I was not detached from these statistics either. This is about me, my family, my friends, the people at my church and my community as a whole."

It's that personal connection that inspired Gourdine to write Reclaiming Our Health: A Guide to African-American Wellness (Yale University Press, $19.95).

Reclaiming our Health, an interactive and empowering book, offers up practical advice and invaluable information to jumpstart one's quest for better health.



BET.com sat down with Gourdine to talk about her eye-opening book, why we all need to strengthen our health literacy and why poor health doesn't have to be our destiny.

Continue Reading

No comments: