Adsense

Saturday, March 1, 2008

ANGIE STONE


ANGIE STONE - STONE URGES DIABETES SCREENINGS

Soul singer ANGIE STONE is urging African-Americans to get tested for diabetes - because it is one of the most serious health challenges facing the black community.

The 47-year-old, who was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes eight years ago, has teamed up with Eli Lilly + Co. on the F.A.C.E. (Fearless African-Americans Connected and Empowered) Diabetes Campaign to advocate screenings for the disease, which affects more than 3 million African-Americans in the U.S.

She insists it is vital people get the symptoms diagnosed early before it is too late. She says, "Eight years ago, I was diagnosed with diabetes after I started experiencing a few common symptoms associated with high blood sugar - including frequent urination and excessive thirst. I couldn't stop going to the bathroom, and no matter how much water I drank, I couldn't get enough.

Despite having a family history of the disease, my diagnosis came as a shock because I didn't think I was a candidate for diabetes.
Even after I was diagnosed and my doctor prescribed medication, I didn't truly take the disease as seriously as I should have. I was in denial about my condition and the importance of taking my medication, changing my diet and getting more exercise."

Contactmusic.com - Ilkley,England,UK

No comments: